Many people develop a fear of dentists early in their lives. This could be due to a combination of factors, such as wrong diagnosis, poor pain and discomfort management, embarrassment over teeth and mouth conditions, and previous negative experiences among others. A recent survey shows that 9 to 15% of Americans avoid seeing their dentist due to these fears and anxiety.
This means many families suffer silently while dental services today have advanced tremendously. Without proper oral care, you are exposing yourself to the risk of gum disease, tooth loss, poor dietary habits among other related health problems.
Sedation Dentistry to Overcome Anxiety
If you or someone close to you is suffering from dentophobia, it is high time you tried a whole new dental experience through sedation dentistry. This is a Godsend for anyone with an extreme fear of oral care professionals. To appreciate the importance of this approach in medical care, you need to appreciate how it works.
In the simplest form, you doctor will use sedatives to help you relax and reduce patina and discomfort during the procedure. The sedatives can be administered in different forms;
- Oral: A pill is given to promote a high level of relaxation.
- Gas: This helps you to relax throughout the procedure although you will still be conscious.
- Intravenous: A sedative is administered through the veins into the blood.
Benefits of Sedatives in Dentistry
The advantages of using sedatives are enjoyed by both the patient and the doctor and they include:
- Quicker procedure because the doctor is able to focus solely on the affected area as the patient lies calmly. More work is done in one sitting as opposed to numerous visits.
- No fear and anxiety: The entire procedure goes on smoothly for the patient without any accompanying fears and anxiety.
- Pain-free treatment: The mouth is one of the most sensitive body parts and no one enjoys sharp objects prodding inside. With sedation dentistry, you are assured of a pain-free experience, which is what everyone wants.
- No painful memories: One major reason many adults suffer oral problems is the fact that they avoid dentists like the plague. This is understandable in cases where painful memories are involved. Luckily, your family doesn’t have to go through such horrendous situations because advances in dentistry will create only pleasant memories.
- More effectiveness: It is possible to talk to your dentist even when under sedation and this can lead to better outcomes of the treatment procedure.
Still worried about your next dental visit? You need not be; with this advanced procedure, you will have a comprehensive diagnosis and treatment without any accompanying pain and discomfort.