Dentist is a medical professional that involves the care of the teeth, gums and mouth. A dentist is expected to ardent for details, complete medical understanding, and manual agility and well-built interpersonal skills are vital as well. Procedures involving real manipulation of the teeth and or gums are handled by a dentist. Dentist have come up with a cosmetic means of handling some societal view of hygiene and health of the teeth with the introduction of teeth whitening, jaw surgery for correction of facial appearance and many others.
A dentist is responsible for the information to be given to a patient on how he or she has to keep the mouth in general clean and dentist who have skill in communication are best in this field of talking to patients. A dentist should normally work for seven to ten hours in a day, the only exception is in the case of an emergency that the hours may exceed the normal work hours. This before before the life a dentist is in many ways similar to that of any other doctor but different in the sense that a dentist keep regular office hours. The dentist pay large sums of premiums for liability insurance, as well as massive sums of fixed cost for example rents and equipments. Since the more patients a dentist sees in a day add to his or her revenue, cause a dentist to see more patients each day.
A dentist needs to spend a day in the afternoon to carry out paperwork and insurance claims to defend for insured patients. For any prospective dentist, you will need to complete the required rigorous academic and professional needs. All these will include anatomy, chemistry, physics and biology for academics; dentistry will require a complete four years program as well as pass an individual exam presented by each state and many others. A dentist will use different types of equipments depending on the patient's needs at the moment in time. Some of such equipments include x-ray machines, drills, mouth mirrors, probes, forceps, brushes and scalpels. Lasers, digital scanners and other computer technologies can be used.
While carrying out his or her task, a dentist will wear gloves and safety glasses to prevent both patient and dentist from infections. Private practice dentist also has the following administrative tasks to carry out which are bookkeeping, buying of equipment and supplies as well. They equally employ and exceed dental assistants, dental lab technicians, dental hygienists and receptionists. It should be noted here that most dentists are general practitioners who also handle different dental needs. Some practice in the other nine specialties which include:
1) Orthodontists: which are the largest group of specialists.
2) Oral and maxillofacial surgeons: this is second largest group which work on the mouth, jaws, teeth, gums, neck, and head.
3) pediatric dentists who focus on dentistry for children
4) periodontists who treating gums and bone supporting the teeth
5) prosthodontists, who replace missing teeth with permanent fixtures, like crowns and bridges.
6) Endodontists who perform root-canal therapy.
7) Oral pathologists who diagnosing oral diseases.
8) oral and maxillofacial radiologists who diagnosing diseases in the head and neck.
9) dental public health specialists who promote good dental health and prevent dental diseases.