St. Tammany Parish Health System is halting all inpatient elective surgeries to focus on rising coronavirus cases and hospitalizations, FOX 8 reported Monday night.
The news station said the system’s doctors received an email from the president and CEO stating all surgeries that require someone to be admitted and observed will be canceled.
The St. Tammany Parish Health System reported a jump from 14 coronavirus patients last week to 34 coronavirus patients in their care.
“Today, based on rising levels and the projected trajectory of COVID patients, our surgical, physician and administrative leaders jointly agreed we should adjust our accommodation of inpatient admissions for elective purposes to better enable our teams to address COVID patient volumes,” Chief Medical Officer Dr. Patrick Torcson said in a statement.
The Louisiana Department of Health reported 112 more confirmed coronavirus cases and 11 more deaths in its noon update Monday.
The new policy will not affect outpatient procedures in which a hospital stay is not required and emergency inpatient procedures, the hospital said.
Other Louisiana hospitals have begun halting elective surgeries or preparing to do so as the state and nation experience another wave of COVID-19 cases during the holiday season.
We’re in Phase 2. Again.