The first and foremost step to a beautiful smile is taking care of your teeth and a thorough examination by your cosmetic dentist. The dentist will be able to determine your oral health and any existing oral issues can be addressed and corrected before cosmetic work begins. The term "oral health" is often misleading. People think "oral health" is a beautiful smile with perfectly shaped and aligned white teeth. But it is important to understand that there is much more to "oral health" than just a smile. It is a gateway to overall health.
It is the job of the dentist to ensure that your smile is healthy and only then he would enhance its appearance. You can get a smile makeover done that includes a beautiful smile, whitening and perfectly aligned teeth. Usually people with stained, yellow and discolored teeth go for whitening of the teeth to get a good and confident smile. You feel confident if your teeth are white and people are likely to treat you differently, even in subways ways. There are different ways to make an ordinary smile look stunning. Some of the ways for a beautiful smile are described below:
- Overlapped and crooked teeth can be straightened. Many people have extended teeth and with some cosmetic work by the dentist the teeth can be aligned.
- Broken, chipped, or worn teeth can be repaired. To repair such teeth dental bonding can be considered. Plastic and materials known as composite resins are used to fill the cavities.
- Gaps between teeth can be reduced with the help of braces.
- Missing teeth can be replaced.
- Natural looking restoration can be an alternative for unattractive metal fillings.
- Stained, yellow or discolored teeth can be whitened.
- Gum line can be recontoured to reduce the appearance of a gummy smile.
Restoration is a process of replacing or restoring a missing or damaged tooth. There are different methods of tooth restorations.
- Fillings: Filling is one of the processes of dental restoration. Teeth can be filled with gold, silver or alloys.
- Crowns: Dental crowns are used to restore the shape and size of the tooth. It is a tooth shaped cap that is placed over the visible portion of the tooth above the gums. It also helps in strengthening the tooth.
- Bridges: Dental bridges help in bridging the gap between one or more missing teeth. A false tooth can be implanted with the natural teeth and is called a pontic. It can be made from gold, silver amalgam, porcelain or alloys.
- Implants: This is a replacement tooth root and is a small metal piece placed into the bone socket. A crown then covers the metal piece. It helps in reshaping of the teeth and replacing a missing tooth.
- Dentures: These are removable replacements for missing teeth. A denture can be a complete denture or a partial denture. A complete denture mirrors all teeth where a partial denture consist of some natural teeth and the rest of the teeth are false.