The third millennium begins with a new scenario in the Health sector. In our country, non-conventional medicine is now part of services that local hospitals give.
Professional associations are preparing a series of evaluation criteria for medical experts in natural medicine.
University has begun to turn its attention to this phenomenon, to understand, analyze it and drive it.
The use of unconventional medicine is particularly used for treatment of chronic and degenerative diseases and cancer patients are a significant part of those who come precisely to these treatments.
I hope, with this article, fruit of long research in these fields, first to help the patient and his family understand more clearly, to choose and encourage reflection and communication between doctor and patient, when the latter decides to undergo an integrated treatment. It can also be useful to fully exploit the benefits of complementary medicine, and the time avoid the same risks especially those still without scientific validation.
This information is useful also to your relative or anyone you know, that is facing the disease. Sharing good and positive information is always powerful. Other people may say that knowledge is power, so encourage yourself and those around you. A kind and positive word supported also by the scientific community can always help and give hope.
What is alternative medicine? Complementary? Unconventional? Traditional?
For clarity purposes I will do my best to give the simplest explanations:
• Alternative medicine: is a term used mainly in the past, and to show how certain practices based on principles different from those of scientific medicine.
• complementary medicine: The term basically means therapies associated with other measures deemed important, such as chemotherapy or surgery. It makes sense to use it such as in oncology, where, such as herbals or ‘acupuncture may rationally combine chemotherapy, radiation, etc…
• unconventional medicine: A term used mainly in politics health care to define all those disciplines that are still waiting for a definitive legal regulation. In this category of Orders doctors include acupuncture, homeopathy, herbal medicine, the ‘anthroposophy, ‘Ayurveda, the ‘homotoxicology, traditional Chinese medicine, ‘osteopathy and chiropractic.
• Traditional medicine: This terminology used instead by the World Health Organization to define the set of knowledge and practices based on popular beliefs and experiences belonging to different cultures, regardless of the explanation scientific.
• natural medicine: is a popular term used that indicates the public and in particular patients with various disciplines of medicine
• integrated medicine: This term indicates what should be the goal of every doctor: different forms and tools therapy integrated to improve the patient’s quality of life as well as prognosis.