In the world of male sex toys, the penis ring may well be the most popular and widely used. Even though dozens of manufactured rings are available, some men prefer to go with a homemade version. As long as attention is paid to ensure proper use and continued good penis health, homemade penis rings can be a fun DIY experience.
There are a number of reasons why a man might prefer a DIY penis ring to one that can be purchased at a sex toy shop or online. Some of these reasons include:
1. Cost. There can be a wide variation in the cost for these special rings; a basic rubber model may be only a few dollars, but a more deluxe version with vibrating capability can easily go $20 or higher. Frugal shoppers may prefer a DIY method to save a few bucks to spend on a special date (or to stock up on condoms).
2. Embarrassment. Some men just don’t feel comfortable going into a store, standing in the sex toy aisles and then paying for a choice at the cashier. Even ordering online may be embarrassing for some men – or they may just not want to have it show up on their shared credit card statement.
3. Creativity. We are living in an increasingly DIY world; more and more, people like to individualize everything from their cell phone covers to their wardrobe choices, so why not their sex toys? A homemade ring gives a man the opportunity to let the toy say something special about him.
4. Trial run. It’s not a bad idea for a man to try out a ring with an inexpensive homemade version to see what he thinks before taking the plunge with the “pro” models.
What can one use?
A penis ring is a circular device typically slipped over the penis or (more usually) the penis and testicles. It restricts the flow of blood into and out of the penis; this can often increase both the firmness and the duration of a man’s erection.
Any object that can fit around the genitals and provides some tightness can be used. Some popular DIY options include:
- Shoelaces or other strings. This is one of the easiest options. Simply tie up the genitals in the appropriate manner. Because it is tied, this option is easy to loosen or tighten as desired and usually easy to remove.
- Rubber bands. These are also popular, although it’s usually a good idea to use a good lubricant when applying; otherwise, the rubber bands can be a bit painful when removing. There also is the risk that the rubber band may snap or become too tight.
- Rubber bracelets. Many of the popular rubber bracelets found on the street are a perfect size for use as a penis ring. Again, proper lubrication is required.
- Plumber’s rings. Many plumbing supply stores sell rubber or metal rings for various plumbing uses that are an appropriate size for genital rings. (Lubrication,